Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the College Readiness program?
- Why have I been placed in college readiness courses?
- What are the college readiness courses?
- What academic readiness policies do I need to know?
- How can I get out of taking a college readiness course?
- Whom do I call to see if my KYOTE scores have been received by EKU?
1. What is the College Readiness program?
The College Readiness program consists of credit-bearing coursework with support specifically designed to help students build skills needed for success in college courses. The program focuses on improving skills in English, math, and reading.
2. Why have I been placed in college readiness courses?
Your college readiness needs are based on test scores the EKU Office of Academic Testing has on file for you. The following test scores may be considered: ACT subscores in English, math, and/or reading; SAT subscores in writing, critical reading, or math; EKU placement testing; or KYOTE scores.
3. What are the college readiness courses?
College readiness courses are ENG 101R, ENG 102R, MAT 105P, MAT 106P, MAT 112P, PHI 101R, and STA 215P.
4. What academic readiness policies do I need to know?
- Students needing ENG 101R should take the course during their first fall, spring, or summer semester of enrollment at EKU.
- Students should enroll in academic readiness math courses, such as MAT 105P or MAT 112P, no later than the beginning of their second semester of university enrollment.
- Students that earn a "B" or "C" in ENG 101R will need to enroll in ENG 102R the following semester. Students earning an "A" in ENG 101R will be able to register for ENG 102.
5. How can I get out of taking a college readiness course?
You may retake your ACT or SAT to get a score that meets the required benchmarks. You also may take an EKU placement test and try to test out of the course. You are allowed to attempt placement testing twice. Please call Academic Testing at 859-622-1281 for available testing dates. If you have KYOTE scores from a Kentucky high school transition program that indicate you have met college readiness benchmarks, those scores will get you out of readiness courses. KYOTE scores can be emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org from high school counselors, or sent to EKU on kyote.org.
6. Whom do I call to see if my KYOTE scores have been received by EKU?
You may call the Academic Testing Office at (859) 622-1281, or send an e-mail to email@example.com.